POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : macro - without () : Re: macro - without () Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:11:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: macro - without ()
From: Tom Melly
Date: 4 Oct 2002 07:18:32
Message: <3d9d7908$1@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...

> I don't agree with this philosofi - what about i.e. new POV-logo, auto-
> completition-of-keywords (ctrl_space), new insert mewnu etc.

A very different set of cases - ignoring the logo, the rest only affect the
windows front end, which has nothing to do with the pov engine - more of an IDE
issue, and IDE's are constantly being revised.

I think the problem here is philosophical, but it's your philosophy that's in a
muddle.

Pov essentially allows you to do what you want to do - you just have to write
your scenes implementing the pov way of doing it. You might as well complain
that perl doesn't allow you to omit the ; from terminating each line, or that C
doesn't allow you to <some C syntax stuff>.

The point is, you're complaining about something as though you can't do it, when
you can, and very easily.

Take a look at most user's complex pov-scripts and you will see a whole bunch of
stuff like:

#declare do_grass = false;
#declare do_tree = false;
#declare do_big_time_consuming_media = false;